Want to contribute?

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2006 at 9:19 PM
If you want to contribute to the project, post a message here and let us know!

Nic
Nov 27, 2006 at 12:21 PM
Hello,

I would be interested but don't know if I have the experience required. Have mostly written network file system drivers, and NDIS protocol drivers, but never any low-level NDIS miniport drivers. To paraphrase "I have written commercial software drivers for Windows NT/2000/XP/CE that interface to other software but never directly to hardware."

I have in the past dabbled in modifying Cisco 350 driver code in order to place it into "monitor mode" in order read the raw 802.11 packets before the 802.11 header got stripped before indication to above layers. This was used in conjuction with crude hack via OIDGENFILTER in order to make Ethereal/WireShark able to decode raw 802.11 packets for display.

What kind of contributions are you looking for?

Maybe a better question is what is the purpose of this project?

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2006 at 11:12 AM
Hi Jim,

We are interested in anyone who wants to improve the driver's performance and functionalities.

If you're interested, let me know and I can get you a card to work with.

Nic
Dec 5, 2006 at 5:06 AM
Hello Nic.
I would like to contribute. I did the Windows CE Gumstix BSP. This would be a great addition to support on the Gumstix platform. I would be interested in helping out. Can you get me some hardware? A CF or SD based card has the possibility of being supported.
Dec 6, 2006 at 3:56 PM
Hello,

I would still be interested. I went to the CardAccess website but didn't see where you could purchase a card. I filled out the contact info but never heard back from them.

Jim
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2006 at 9:18 PM
The CardAccess site has the AR6001 cards listed under Products!Wireless LAN
http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/products/index.php?a=wireless_lan

Paul L
Dec 7, 2006 at 4:37 AM
Hello,

Unless I'm missing something, they don't have a link to actually purchase the AR6001 card. They have a link called "For availability Contact Us" to provide contact information. I filled out the information but never got an email or phone response back from them. Is this the only supplier of the card using the Atheros chipset?

The company I work for provides Switch, Access Point, and Device RF support. In particular we provide support for Devices in the Auto ID industry (i.e. barcode scanner). We work with many vendors in this industry such as Symbol(Motorola), Intermec, LXE, Fujitsu, HHP, ... in supporting their various CE devices and operating systems. In particular I'm interested in cards that support the newer WPA, WPA2 security protocols and the EAP supplicant architecture. From my experience with all the various vendors and hardware not all miniport drivers and their corresponding firmware are created equally. I've recently worked with Summit Data Communications wireless CF cards and have found them to be the less flaky but of course I don't have access to source code for them. Most of the CE source code provided in the past has been for old hardware so that is why I'm interested in working with the AR6001 and trying it out on our various CE devices that provide wireless support via CF interface.

Jim
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2006 at 4:57 PM
I'll check with CardAccess and see what is going on. CardAccess is the only supplier of Ar6001 cards at low-volumes. All other suppliers deal in high volume customers.

Regards

Paul
Dec 7, 2006 at 11:22 PM
Jim,

This is Ray Ivins from Card Access. I am sorry, but your request was eaten as a snack in a spam attack on our support email. Please forgive the delay. Everything is working now so everyone can get the information they need.

If anyone wishes to contact me directly, I can be reached at rivins@cardaccess-inc.com.

Thanks,

Ray Ivins
Card Access
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2006 at 11:26 PM
Ray,
Thanks for the follow up.

Paul
Dec 8, 2006 at 12:23 AM
Hello,

Thanks Paul and Ray for following up. I got an email from Ray and ordered a couple. Turns out CardAccess is just down the road from me. It is a very small world indeed.

Jim
Dec 11, 2006 at 12:59 AM
Hi,

I am a research student and my project is the work on MAC layer and my focus is on WiFi but I am still not sure what developement and test environment to user. Having said that I am not interested in simulators.

So if this project assist me with my project, which I believe it is, I am very interested to contribute.

Regards,
Sasan
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2006 at 3:55 PM
Sasan,
Nic is out till Jan '07. He may be able to help you in obtaining a card.

Regards

Paul
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2007 at 7:56 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm finally back from parental leave and I'm glad to see the interest starting up.

I have a few cards available for those interested in contributing to the project. If you're interested, shoot me an email at nsagez@microsoft.com.

Thanks!

Nic
Jan 12, 2007 at 11:34 AM
Hi Nic,

I am based in Ireland. Do you ship the card overseas?

Thanks,
Sasan
Coordinator
Jan 15, 2007 at 6:19 PM
Sure, just email me at nsagez@microsoft.com.

Thanks,

Nic