AR6K1 in Promiscuous mode?

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:20 PM
Hi,
I'm currently trying to design a packet analyzer tool for wm5.0. I'm using Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Look T830 pda as a testing device. It has AR6001 WLAN adapter and firmware version is 1.0.3.30. My question is, does this adapter support promiscuous mode? all my attempts to switch this device into a promiscuous mode are failing. To be exact im trying to do this with OID NDISPACKETTYPEPROMISCUOUS and DeviceIoControl(..., IOCTLNDISUIOSETOIDVALUE, ...); ... its failing... im having no problem with OID like NDISPACKETTYPEDIRECTED. Is there just no support for NDISPACKETTYPEPROMISCUOUS mode, or is there something I have to do prior to setting NDISPACKETTYPEPROMISCUOUS?
Thanx for your time.
Jul 23, 2007 at 3:08 PM
Ok, I just read some source and it seems that promiscuous mode is not supported... my question now is.. can promiscuous mode be added just by modifying drivers code, or is this a firmware issue?
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2007 at 6:59 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular firmware release. It pre-dates the 1.1 version that this driver supports.

Regards

Paul
Jul 23, 2007 at 8:54 PM
Thanx for a responce Paul
Can you explain to me what is involved in upgrading a firmware on a device?
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM
At this point Atheros does not make different firmware versions generally available. If your company has relationship with Atheros sales, you may be able to check there.

Regards

Paul