How to make AR6000 Driver work on ACX100

Topics: Developer Forum
May 25, 2007 at 3:23 AM
Currently, I am researching on Adhoc positioning project, I need to get the RSSI in the adhoc network (i.e. RSSI-MAC pair), however NDIS does not allow me to do that, only RSSI for APs are returned.

After a long time search, I got to know my PDA (Dopod 838 pro & Hp4700) are making use of TI ACX100 chipset, the internal bus type are sdio (Dopod 838pro)& PCMCIA(HP4700), however I can only find the Linux/BSD driver for ACX100.

My questions are:
(1) How hard it is to make AR6000 Driver works with ACX100?
(2) Ar6000 is based on WM6.0, however my PDA are running WM2003 & 2005, will there be any difference?
(3) Should I find some fireware to download to my PDA?
Coordinator
May 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM
The driver in this project only supports the Atheros AR6001 chips. It does not support any other chipset. You would need to re-write the driver to support the new chipset you are working on - a significant effort, or find an existing driver for your chip.

Paul L
May 26, 2007 at 5:13 PM
Paul,

Thanks for your respones, I can understand this is a big effort. Does the framework of AR6001 driver can be reused? I am pretty new in driver development and there are quite a lot new things to me.

Coordinator
May 27, 2007 at 6:42 PM
You could certainly re-use the framework as an example. Before you start you would have to find ou if the chip level documentation for the WLAN chip you want to use is available, and if you feel you understand it well enough to write a driver from it. This is not a small task.

Paul L
May 31, 2007 at 3:52 AM
I do not have this kind of document, what I have is the source code of ACX100 driver under Linux/BSD. To me, It's a big challenge. I am wondering what should I do next.

Thanks! Paul
Coordinator
May 31, 2007 at 6:50 PM
Without being facetious, you need to understand the chip you want to write a driver for. One way to do this is to read and understand the driver source that you have, being careful not to cross any of the license restrictions. Understand that writing a driver for a WLAN device is a complex job. This is a lot to take on for your first driver.

Paul